3.31.2009

Visit to Full Gospel Church and Childrens Home, Hope Village Community, Ganta City, Nimba County, Liberia

Pastor Valentine and his sweet wife (with me in the middle, obviously!)
The sweet woman who prepared the food for us! Sorry, I don't have her name!



Everyone enjoying the meal! They are eating in true African style, all from the same pot!

This is me eating "Palava Source" for the first time. This is a type of greens and was actually grown on the farm project that we have helped sponsor for them. This was one of the first harvests from this season! It was delicious! The name has an interesting meaning! Palava means dispute or disagreement, so the name "Palava Source" was given to this meal because they said that the kids love it so much that they fight over what is left in the pot! So, it is the source of fighting!

These are some kids from the orphange home. You will see the bigger girl looking at my head. She was petting my hair, and they were laughing! I think she just wanted to see what that "white person" hair felt like!


This is the list of rules for the orphanage. I though it was quite funny and interesting! They also had a daily schedule and menu posted, with everything signed, the management :-)
Meet Darsie Mooney! He is my new Liberian man :-) What a face!
Darsie would NOT smile if the camera was pointed at him! When they noticed that he was having pictures taken, they went and changed him into more presentable clothes :-) I think the little romper was just as cute!

We even tried to bribe a smile for the camera out of him with a coke! If the camera was put down, he had no problem smiling!
I was so happy to be able to make the trip out to visit the churches we are working with, in the interior on this last visit. I knew that it would be a while before I would be able to go out there again, so I wanted to make sure to include this in my visit. Those of you who have been following this blog for a while will remember Full Gospel Apostolic Church. The main church location is in Ganta, and they have another branch in Kpoapa, which is a small community outside of Ganta. We had the pleasure of helping with some teaching at their convention in December/January. Pastor Valentine and his wife are amazing people! I dearly love them and whenever I am able to go and spend some time with them it is always a blessing for me. They run 2 churches, one in Ganta and one in Kpoapa town. They also run an orphanage out of their home in Ganta. They have about 30 children there. The kids are so precious! I was able to spend some time with them at their home this time and with the kids there. It was so much fun! We had a wonderful time talking and fellowshipping together. I am anxious to go back! I had the best Liberian food while I was at their house. It was delicious!
There was one little boy in particular that I just fell in love with. His name is Darsie Mooney and he is 7 years old but he is the size of a 3- 4 year old. He will always have a special place in my heart. I don’t know his story or how he ended up in the orphanage, but I am sure someday I will have those answers. For now, all I know is that he is a precious little man and is blessed to be in this orphanage home with such wonderful people who love him. God has a plan for this little guy and I can’t wait to see what his future holds!








No comments: